What’s the deal with Dental Implants?
Do you have missing teeth or ill-fitting dentures? Get excited because Dental Implants may be the right solution for you
Round Lake Dentists offer full-phased dental implant solutions to restore your missing teeth, improve the stability of ill-fitting dentures and in some cases even eliminate the need for dentures. Dental Implants will provide you with a beautiful, natural-looking smile. Our highly qualified and experienced staff consists of a Board Certified Periodontist and General Dentists that use the latest technology and methods to provide the highest level of patient care possible.
Maintaining your dental health is our primary goal here at Round Lake Family Dentistry and all of us strongly believe that keeping your natural dentition in full health for the rest of your life is the best thing you can do. However, due to unforeseen circumstances and past dental pathology, many patients are missing teeth and/or are unhappy with their current dentures or prosthesis. Dental implants are the next best alternative as it helps restore your missing teeth as close to its natural state without compromising your adjacent natural teeth.
Dental implants are the best solution that replaces the entire missing tooth (root and crown portion of the tooth) and this treatment preserves the supporting bone, making it the preferred choice over fixed bridges or removable dentures.
Advantages of dental implants
- Dental implants provides high quality of life with natural functional ability over alternative options like dentures
- Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth, a few teeth, or all the teeth. Dental implants can also be used to stabilize full dentures to improve the retention and chewing ability.
- Implants are fixed in place and do not move. Unlike bridges or dentures, dental implants are placed into and fuse with the bone in your jaws. This helps provides stability, and also prevents bone loss and atrophy of the jaw bone that normally results from missing teeth or gum disease.
- Properly planned cases have a high rate of success. This success rate of dental implants is supported by decades of clinical experience and hundreds of thousands of satisfied patients.
What are the Procedure steps Involved?
- Thorough Examination by your Dentist which may include x-rays, diagnostic casts and pictures
- A CT-scan, which is a 3-D type of x-ray may be required in certain instances when quality and quantity of bone seems to be in question. Sometimes, vital anatomical structures like the sinus cavity and/or nerve structures may be in close proximity to the location where implant has to be placed and the 3-D scan helps us evaluate proper placement location to avoid complications.
- After the initial work-up, your dentist will have a guide ready to help with the placement of the implant under local anesthesia just like any regular dental treatment like fillings, root canals, crowns, etc.
- Once the implant fixture is placed in the jaw bone, we need to allow about 3-6 months of healing time where the implant fixture can integrate in the jaw bone. You may have a temporary prosthesis during this time to help fill the missing space.
- After the full healing time has passed for the dental implant, your dentist will fabricate a crown (if replacing a single tooth) or help fit existing or new dentures to the implants.
- Once the full treatment has been completed, it is highly recommended that you keep your regular maintenance visits for cleanings and check-ups.
As always, a thorough evaluation by a properly trained dentist is necessary to discuss this treatment option. Call Round Lake Family Dentistry at (847) 740 – 0217 with any questions or visit www.roundlakedentistry.com to make an appointment. Until next time, Keep Smiling….